Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hi, my name is Andrea.... and I am a diet Coke/Pepsi (diet soda)addict.

Yes, I have got a problem... I drink WAY too much diet soda. I've come to believe that I am addicted to the stuff and, quite honestly, I don't think that's a good thing. In fact, I know it's not a good thing.

I don't see how it could be- it has absolutely no nutritional value, a lot of what it contains I cannot even pronounce, and there's the ever questionable artificial sweeteners in it. Plus, there's the fact that sodas, diet or not, deplete Calcium and other valuable minerals from your bones. With the amount I drink typically, I'm surprised I haven't fractured something yet. Eek.

So the last few weeks, I've been working on cutting down. It has NOT been easy. I guess anytime you become dependent on something, it's hard to break free of it. And I, admittedly drank A LOT of the stuff. I'm even a little embarrassed to fess up to how much I would drink on a daily basis. But, as you can see, I'm trying to come clean here...lol.

Generally, during the work week, I'd have a 20 oz Diet Pepsi in the morning...and sometimes I'd have one again before lunch, then after lunch I might have an additional one. I'd go home after the gym in the evening and have at least 2 more. Holy Shit, that's a lot of that crap.

My goal has been to cut back on it and get down to 2 bottles a day. To some that probably sounds like a lot still, but, believe me, this is a huge decrease for me and I'm really feeling it. There are days which are easier and I do make the goal (rarely), but then there are the rest of the days where I don't.

I am trying today to keep to that goal. But, as we speak, I think I must be going through withdrawal. I woke up and felt pretty crappy and things have just progressively gotten worse from there. I have the biggest Mother of a headache- almost bad enough for me to make a run outside to y car and fetch myself another diet Pepsi... but I'm trying to resist.

I guess what makes even more hard is that I'm somewhat limited with what I can drink. Most things have a significant amount of carbohydrates/sugar in them and I'd have to take a bolus to cover what I drink- and that's something I rather not do. I don't mind bolusing for food, but drinks, for some reason, is another story. So that really narrow it down to some kind of diet drink and water.

Yes, I know water is a much better choice, but I am really not that crazy about it. But, saying that, I have been trying to drink more of it in hopes that it will make coming off diet soda easier. Some days it does seem like it helps, but then there are other days where I feel like I am dying (like today :o( ). I was hoping each day would get easier, but so far, no such luck...

I guess I'm looking for help... How do I make this easier? At the moment, I feel like I should just give up. :o(

7 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Switch to coffee ! LOL sorry trying to make light of a situation I have struggled with myself I love diet coke and I have cut down it is not easy.. you can try to add crystal light to your watter it helps but the headaches is the lake of caffine which I know you know. each day the headaches should get less but I think your doing a good thing I notice I was not as tired when I added water to my daily drinking I think drinking some is ok but add water in between. ok this is just getting long winded sorry :-) and good luck

3:44 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

LOL at J! That was funny.

I hear you on the pop thing. I'm addicted too. I think I drink more than you though. I've been known to slam 4 20oz bottles. Before lunch.

Yep.

I go through spurts where I'll drink heavily, then not so much. I don't find I get the headaches or anything when I'm off it.

Would it be worth anything to try some of the caffeine free pop? It still has lots of the other bad stuff, but at least no caffeine.

Other than that, I would suggest just don't try to go cold turkey. I think that would be just too hard.

Good luck!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Kelsey said...

About 4-5 months ago I started having headaches in the afternoon and feeling just sluggish. I starting wondering if my coffee and diet coke intake had something to do with it. I quit caffine cold turkey for a week and it was horrible! But, after a week I had more energy and didn't have those slumps during the day. After not having caffine for a month or so, I tried a tall latte and was so jittery!

I know most of America is addicted to the stuff, but caffine really messes with our bodies. My advice: if you're going to quit caffine, it's an "all or nothing" sort of thing at first. If you still have "some" you won't feel the benefits.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Maybe give Vitamin Water a try. It's flavoured but isn't sickeningly sweet like soda or diet soda. And it has vitamins - that's gotta count for something, right?

I can't sympathize on the soda thing because I can't stand the stuff, but let me tell you, if someone tried to take away my coffee, I'd probably gouge out their throat with a rusty spoon.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sympathise. If you're used to drinking that much soda, I can imagine this is pretty tough.

The trouble is, you're essentially trying to give up two things at once - the caffeine, and the actual pleasure/habit of drinking the drink. Rather like smokers giving up both the nicotine and the habit of smoking.

I wish I had words of wisdom, but I'm afraid I don't. I'm rooting for you though. Hang in there.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Hi Andrea,

I'm feeling your pain. I have cut back from 3 cans of soda a day to 1 and upped my water intake from maybe 8 oz to over 80 oz a day -- all in one week's time. I would suggest looking into some of the flavored waters -- Fruit 2 0 has no sugar and tastes OK or some vitamin water.

Also, I have lost 7lbs in a week with virtually no changes in my diet, except cutting out soda -- boy, that's motivation if I've ever found any -- seriously.

I had headaches the first two days -- which I quelled by drinking tea (raspberry with Splenda) with caffeine and extra water...

I'm telling you, in a few days, you'll start feeling better... I can pretty much promise it given my last eight days!

N

12:15 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

J...

I'm not too crazy about coffee or tea, for that matter. But I do like Caramel Lite Frappucinos (Starbucks) Yum... I think I'm already addicted. Great, I'm just swapping one addiction for another.

I am going to buy some Crystal lite over the weekend and maybe that will be a little better thatn having all that soda. Good suggestion :)

Scott...I didn't think anyone could beat me, but maybe you do! Ok, that makes me feel a little better. :) Hey, misery loves company- lol.

Kelsey, I give you a lot of credit for doing it cold turkey. You are stronger than I am. I just can't do it- it's too hard.

Julia- don't worry, I won't take away your cup o' joe, as long as you don't take my soda. Deal? I've tried Vitamin Water, but doesn't it still have a good amount of carbs? I have this thing about bolusing for drinks, I just prefer not to. I may have to change that "rule" though...hey, if it helps me to get off all this soda crap. I'm so jealous that you don't have this problem...I wish I didn't.

Caro- thanks for your support and encouragement. I need all I can get. It sounds funny, and it's fun to joke about it, but it really is a problem. Hopefully, I'll improve with time.

Nicole, you have me curious. You lost weight by cutting back on diet soda or regular soda? It would surprise me if it was diet, since it has no calories, carbs, or anything like that...

Actually, I think I read somewhere that there was some study regarding soda and weight gain. Those who drink more than 2 cans of diet soda a day gained more weight than those who drank that amount of regular. They aren't sure why, but they think it's either that people think that since they are having diet soda, they can be more liberal with their other food choices and they usually overcompensate. Or they think it may be due to having something sweet triggering more sweet cravings. I kind of think it might be more the first theory... you always see the person with the Extra Value meal and the Large Diet coke. It makes me laugh a little to see that.

Anyway, I think you're weight loss is awesome...I hope I'll have the success you are having at some point... that would make this whole process worth it :)

Oh, btw, I did break down yesterday and I had a few more sodas :o(. I was disappointed with myself, but I felt so crappy yesterday- I just couldn't take it.

I am planning on stocking up on Crystal lite and will continue to drink water and hopefully I'll be able to kick this habit eventually. Thanks, everyone :)

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home