Monday, February 20, 2006

For those of you who don't know this, I got "hooked up" to the CGMS system- the monitoring system put out by Minimed- today. I'm guessing that that would be many of you...seeing that I don't think I mentioned it in my past blogs.

I actually got this suggestion from a fellow blogger (Julia-TY :) btw) and thought it was a great idea, especially since I'm having all these issues and problems testing my basal rates. However, I ran into a road block :( .

The Endocrinology practice I see currently doesn't use this system. I guess in the past they had problems billing and getting paid by insurance and, let's face it, if they're don't get paid, they're not going to provide the service. I thought, ok, well, maybe I wouldn't be able to use the system. However, my CDE suggested I call MM and see if there's another way to get around this.

The rep I spoke to was extremely nice....she suggested I call some other offices around my area and see if it would be possible to arrange to use this system. I lucked out. I knew of a doctor in my old town, who specializes in Diabetes care. After explaining the situation to the front desk and CDE, she said that she will look into it and see if I could get on this monitoring unit. Not too long after that, I received a voice mail saying I would be able to do this. YAY :)

So yesterday was the big day. I was both excited and anxious about trying this out. I thought it would provide useful information and save me from having to do the the basal tests I so look forward to doing (NOT). Plus, with all the information it would collect it might help me to figure out how to deal with all my current exercise issues...which is really what I am looking for.

Being that it was President's day, and most places are closed (except us :( ) I figured, I would go workout, go to the appointment, and then go to work. Things worked out well for the most part, except that I was a little late getting to the office to hook up. The office staff didn't seem too upset, but I hate that rushed feeling. You think I would learn by now.

After filling out a mess of paper work, I was taken back and shown the system. The rep from MM, who was coming to put me on the system, hasn't arrived. As the CDE was discussing it, he came in and we started the process. It seemed pretty straightforward and if you could wear and use a pump, this didn't seem like it was going to be any more difficult.

Then came the part of inserting sensor. I hate any kind of set change, so inserting this was something I was dreading. I was told that it would be inserted into the lower back, above the butt, which I've never used before. I wasn't sure how this was going to be, if it would hurt. Turns out, it wasn't that bad...though once I saw the serter (looked like a SIL serter) I started feeling anxious again. But it was over and done in a blink and aside from it being somewhat awkward (who needs to expose their butt area?), it was fine.

That brings me to where things stand now... As far as I know, the sensor is on and working away taking readings of my blood sugar on a pretty continuous and consistent basis. Being that I have a careless and clumsy side, I was worried that I would rip it off accidentally or sit on it, but so far this hasn't happened- and hopefully, it won't . I did run into one little snag (no pun intended). I had the sensor on my waist band. All of a sudden I felt this heavy tug on my back. I looked down to see it swinging towards the floor. How it came loose, I don't know, but just hope it didn't dislodge or loose any readings in any way.

So that's my update. Hopefully, I'll learn a lot from this experience and it will really help me in achieving better control. My last A1c was 6.9, but with any luck my next one will be even better now that I am trying to fine tune things. Here's hoping for the best :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Hi Andrea,

I hope this will give you some good information to work with. I always think it's hard trying to catch everything with finger sticks.

It kind of stinks that you couldn't do it at your regular office, but I'm glad to hear you were able to find an office that was willing to work with you.

Good luck with it - I'm sure you'll keep us posted!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Andrea, good luck in getting those basal rates figured out. You would think a CGMS would definately help in that regard.

Looking forward to hearing all about it what you find out.

7:10 PM  
Blogger art-sweet said...

Andrea,

Are you going to Boston? Or are they marketing it more broadly than they say on their website?

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news Andrea! I've always wanted to wear the CGMS (five months, five months, five months) and I'll bet you'll find it to be both more and less of a help than you expect. Good luck!!

And kudos for exposing your butt; everyone needs to show their backside once in a while ;)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Yay! I'm glad they hooked you up. Is it the old CGMS or the new Guardian? I know the old system was blind - the patient couldn't see the readings - but the Guardian is supposed to be visible to the patient. Unless they make it blind for short tests, I don't know.

I can't wait to hear how this goes for you.

God, I can't wait til the Guardian and Navigator are covered by insurance.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Rachel Segall said...

What is this thing??? I've never heard about?? Do you have to ever test your blood, are you hooked up forever like the pump? Where have I been.

So can you wear this thing when you exercise, this sounds like it mihgt solve all of your problems. WOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home