Wednesday, July 19, 2006


I feel like SHIT tonight :( :( :( . Not really physically, well, maybe a bit tired, but more so emotionally shitty. I'm just really weepy and in a "poor me" state of mind at the moment. Yes, I'm throwing a pity party for myself... which isn't too unusual for me.

I always think, why are things the way they are for me- why can't things be better? But, saying that, I think I am the one usually responsible for my own problems and misfortune. I believe I really could be my own worst enemy. I get myself in difficult situations and then I have one heck of a time trying to get out of them. I'll give you a "for instance".

This has to do with work. Things aren't exactly great at my job, as you may know. As I've mentioned in the past, I have a difficult time with my bosses, particularly A. I try to avoid her in most situations, b/c I find her rude and unprofessional. Not to mention, that she is not a real warm, friendly, or personable person. The lack of communication has caused lead to a big problem- that being my vacation.

I made plans with my sisters and my sister's friend to take a cruise in mid August a few months ago. Now, instead of letting A & T know right away, I thought I would wait. I can't really explain this logic. But , at the time, I think I thought asking for my vacation & also asking for the time off for my surgery was too much to ask for at one time. So I thought it wouldn't be a big deal for me to ask about taking this time when I returned to work. Well, guess what? I was wrong- it was and IS a BIG deal.

Their reason for it being a problem is that there are just too many people taking off at that time. C., one of my co-workers, is going on maternity leave. S., another co-worker, is on vacation, T., one of my managers, is also taking time off then. And this is going to leave us very short staffed. So after I arrived back from lunch, A. called me into her office and they proceeded to yell at me & ask me what I was thinking? Honestly, I really don't know. I guess I had this unrealistic expectation that they would be more understanding and flexible. Obviously, I expected too much, considering my past history with them. They told me straight off the bat, that they could not approve of my time off.

Well, this puts me in a real jam now, b/c , though they asked me to see if I could get a refund, I cannot. The airline tickets and cruise is already paid for and are non-refundable- so there's no backing out or changing plans. Also, the girls are planning on me being able to go- it impacts their plans too, so, again, I can't just bail out. I went back to tell A. this and couldn't help but get emotional- which I know I should have tried to refrain from.

My Dad always tells me that to get upset in the workplace is unprofessional, and I agree, but I just couldn't hold it together. I think, under pressure, it's hard to control that. Anyway, after my emotional breakdown, A. said that she would talk to T. & see what she could do, so I'm hoping that, somehow, things will come through in the end.

I know it's my fault ;(. I should have planned things better, like I said, but I think that they could work with me on this if they wanted to. First, yes, the phones need to be covered, but there's going to be people there & the phones aren't that busy that they ring off the hook. So I don't think that's a real issue. According to A., the main issue is about my work getting done.

Well, the work will get done- it's not going to go anywhere when I'm away and I don't think I'll have any problem catching up on what I need to get done. When I was away for my surgery for a week and a half & came back, it only took me a day or two to catch up. I'm more than willing to stay late, come in early, & even come in on the weekends to get my work done, if need be. I really don't think a week is going to shoot things to hell...

I am not trying to excuse my mistake, I'm really not. I know I was a complete idiot by not planning things and being more responsible, but I think the fact that A. doesn't really like me (see my past post on what she said about me to 18 year file clerk) is kind of influencing her decision more than anything else. I'll be surprised if she tells me that it's ok...but I'm praying she does. Because if she again says no, I'm not sure what I will do... It will be a BIG problem.

12 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

Oh, Andrea...I hope it works out for you.

3:07 AM  
Blogger NYMOM said...

Sorry to hear about this...

Can you sell the tickets to someone if you advertise them on ebay or something. Because I kind of have a feeling her answer will be no...you appear to have the same sort of job I do where coverage is needed and those are the kinds of jobs that are hard to get lots of time off from...

It's not like you can bring your work home or even do it on a weekend as if you have to answer a phone from M/F being there Sunday won't cut it.

Sorry about this...

What about putting it in a stress-relief sort of way???? Like you need the vacation to get your stress levels down???? Something like that...

4:59 PM  
Blogger BetterCell said...

Andrea......How could you prepay for tickets and make plans for your vacation in advance of it being approved? Business does not operate that way. There are all sorts of formalities that are adhered to regarding work and vacations.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

JB- thank-you for your support- I'm hoping that it does work out, but I'm very nervous about this situation. I'll keep you posted.

NYmom- I can't sell my tickets, b/c then a stranger would be staying with my sister in her cabin. That would be a problem, to say the least.

I understand that the work needs to get done- I do know that, but I know that I'll manage to catch up without much of a problem. And if they want me to work late/come in early or even come in on weekends to work- I am willing to do that.

As for the phone coverage- I don't think that's the main issue. I'm not a secretary or anything like that, where the phones are constantly ringing. We do get calls from patients who want to discuss their bills, but, honestly, the phones aren't so busy, especially now in the summertime. Plus, there are people there who could pitch in and help with that, if needed.

I feel horrible about this situation- I really do. I know it impacts a lot of people, and if I could do things over again, I would do things differently, but I know that's not possible. I'm praying for a bit of their understanding- that they'll be a bit lenient of my mistake, despite the magnitude of it , and work with me to come up with something to resolve this. I know they don't have to- ultimately, it's not their problem, but I'm still hoping.

Bettercell- You asked the same question they asked me... And to tell you the truth- I just wasn't thinking at all. I realize I made a huge error and I feel lika a complete idiot. Obvioulsy, it was completely irresponsible and poor planning.

I know I am asking a lot by asking them to reconsider, but I pray they do. I know that this can be worked out if they are willing to bend a bit. But I also know that they don't have to, as I mentioned to nymom.

I know I'll definitely learn something from this... but hopefully, I won't have to learn the hard way.

10:16 PM  
Blogger NYMOM said...

Hi.

How did it go Andrea?

Did they give you the 'up or down vote'...

Did you emphasis you needed the break for 'stress-relief' due to recovery from surgery, diabetes related, etc.,????

5:04 AM  
Blogger BetterCell said...

Everyone has stress even-though those without Diabetes. This problem is about responsibility toward one's employment. The surgery was voluntary.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

NYMom- I couldn't use the "stressed out" excuse... even though it's not really an excuse-I have been extremely stressed the last couple weeks. However, I know that they would see it as a cop out. Plus, it doesn't explain why I didn't ask permission for the time off initially...which is really what I got in trouble for.

I do appreciate you trying to help me out and for all your advice- I don't know what I would do w/o the feedback I receive... thanks so much ;)

BC- I know how I handled things was irresponsible. But my surgery and my vacation really have nothing to do with each other.

The reason they said no to my vacation was b/c there were just too many people scheduled off at one time... I think a total of 5 people wanted the same week off in our small billing department. Of course, I had to pick the one week where this would happen...

I realize my mistake and how thoughtless it was- I should have definitely got permission for the time off before I made plans.
It's going to sound like I'm making excuses for myself, but I just want to add that everyone makes mistakes... And my opinion is that with some effort and with a little understanding- most problems can be fixed- if others are willing to bend a little bit. It's unusual for someone like me to say this, b/c I am a bit of a pessimist, but this is how I truly feel.

In my case, I was really lucky... someone in my office, D., offered to step up & take on some of my work and also answer phones- so that I would be able to take this time off as scheduled. I was definitely in a bind & freaking out at the mess I was in and this woman stepped in to save the day...which I am so grateful for :).

I was also really lucky that A agreed to this. As much as I have complained about her- she, ultimately, was willing to work with me and allow D. to fill in. She certainly didn't have to agree to any of this- she could have said NO & left it at that, but she didn't. I don't know, but things like this make me think that maybe I judged her unfairly. I know we most likely will never be best buds or see eye to eye, but this has definitely put her in a different light to me.

So, yes, things did work out this time, but not without consequences...I now am trying to make up ground with my bosses- which I'm not sure is possible, but I'm doing my best. And, probably the best lesson is that I need to take my job a little more seriously. I do have a tendency to be too laid back about work... & I guess that shows. I shouldn't just assume that things will ultimatly turn out just as I plan, b/c this is an example of a time where that might not happen. Live & Learn...

10:57 PM  
Blogger BetterCell said...

I know that your surgery & vacation have NOTHING to do with each other, but this was implied as a "cop-out" by a previous comment. People who are responsible, do not make excuses for themselves.

6:25 AM  
Blogger J said...

Andrea I think that you have realized you mistakes and don't have to keep explainingh youself, I have done that in the past like if I keep saying I am sorry or saying I know I made a mistake it will make things better... just realize you have made a mistake and as hard as it is try not to keep saying that and be more aware of yourself for the next time bosses may be angry right now but just do you job and do it well if it is not repeated I think you will be ok if it becomes an on going thing then I would see how they can stay angry most times bosses do not want to hear excuses just you made you case you admitted to you mistake now try and let it go . IT IS HARD I know I have tried myself but it does make for better work and I can see you feel like shit and you dont have to keep explaining yourself OK you made a mistake it happens.. so try to enjoy your cuise and know you will have to buckle in when you get back and do the best job you can... it will eventually pass. Know what I mean you learned a lesson best thing to do is remember it. Your gonna be fine.

10:30 AM  
Blogger NYMOM said...

I know everyone has stress but I generally made allowance in my office when I knew people were either sick or facing some particularly stressful event in their life.

Like last year one of the people working here their partner was very sick needing heart surgery...so I and others here pitched in to cover his phone call/emails...made sure to open his mail and take care of everything until he was back at work and his partner well on the road to recovery.

Andrea appears to be going through some particularly stressful period right now which is why I felt that if she mentioned it, people at work might understand. You, yourself I believed mentioned once that the psychological impact of being diagnosed with diabetes is often overlooked...

I have told some other people here that I was recently diagnosed and they have responded well to me...and I expect them too, as when they were sick or stressed in the past, I helped them as well...

3:50 PM  
Blogger NYMOM said...

BTW, I didn't mean to mention you were 'stressed out' as a cop out or an excuse since it IS the truth. You ARE stressed out...due to the surgery, the fighting with your family, the diabetes, etc.,

There's nothing wrong with reaching out to people to honestly admit you are stressed and to expect them to extend you a little bit more considration during that period.

As you would be expected to do for them if the roles were reversed.

I mean you are not ALWAYS requesting time off w/o advanced notice...

PS...I see that someone pitched in for you and agreed to help so you could take your trip...

I'm so happy.

Enjoy your vacation, relax and come back ready to work with a newer respect for your co-worker and boss now as well...

Enjoy your cruise.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Contact me please
payam7777777@hotmail.com

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home