Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ugh...I'm sick. Needless to say, I am NOT a happy camper. Everything seems to get on my nerves and I'm taking it out on people who do not deserve it. On top of that, I still can't get my nighttime blood sugars on track. I'm very irritable, I admit it.

I guess it's no surprise that I'm sick. My work environment sounds more like an infirmary than a billing department. People coughing, sneezing, and blowing noses are basically the sound effects currently heard in the office. What annoys me, though, is that people come in when they are sick! Just doesn't make sense to me.

There's one person in particular, C. , who has been sick forever, still has come in just about everyday. All you could hear for weeks on end was her continuous coughing. Yet, if you approached her and said that she sounds sick and should go home- she'd say "Oh, I'm not sick."

It's not like we don't have sick days given to us. We do. The issue is that she doesn't want to use her "sick" days for sick days. She wants to use them later on, b/c the fact is, she is pregnant. Being that we do not have a paid maternity leave here, she wants to save those days for that. However, should that mean that the rest of us have to get sick because of that? In my opinion, it's kind of selfish and inconsiderate.

So the colds and respiratory infections (what I have) are getting spread around here...just passed on down the line from one person to the next. It's, honestly, the last thing I need. I have enough of a struggle getting my blood sugar under control. Now throw an illness into the mix, and I don't think it helps me much. Hopefully, the anti-biotics will knock this "bug" right out of my system and I'll be on the way to recovery. I'm not a good patient at all!

Speaking of blood sugar, nothing has changed with my nighttime levels :( . I feel like I am running around in circles, driving myself crazy trying to get things straightened out, and I'm getting NO WHERE :( .

I know it's not the illness causing me problems...me elevated levels have been going on for months, but I don't feel any closer to finding a solution. Yes, it probably was about time I tested my basal rate. However, it didn't help me with this problem... I am, again, going to fax over my blood sugar readings and see if they can provide any insight.

In the meantime, I'm trying to hang in there. But I must admit a couple things. The first thing? I am a horrible patient with NO patience. I want things to be fixed right here and now...and a lot of things don't work that way, especially this whole Diabetes mumbo-jumbo. The next, yes, I admit I hate sick people coming to work, but I, admittedly, came in today myself. Yeah, that makes me sound like a total hypocrite, but for some reason, I felt I had to come in. But saying that, I can at least not get too close to anyone, and cover my mouth when I sneeze and cough- unlike certain people, like C., who does not. Then the even funnier thing is, when she saw me come in, she asked me "what are you doing here?" Hmm, great question.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about sick people coming in to work. The trouble where I work is that we have no sick pay. So, if a day is lost to illness, it's lost pay. I still don't like it when they come in but I can understand why.
Hang in there.

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know how you feel, girl. I have my first ever Sinus Infection (which explains why I've not responded to your posts before now; sorry!) and only three paid sick days at work, not to mention nobody to deal with my workload if I'm not in the office. Who wants to come into work sick?? But then again, we need the money (and in my case, I don't need the backlog!).

Hope you feel better soon!

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home