Friday, January 27, 2006

The only real good thing going today is that it's Friday. Yes, it's been that kind of day and the sad thing is that the clock says it is only 2:28 pm...so it's not near to being over. I wish it was possible to push the clock whatever way we wanted to make it the time we wish it to be. Right now- I wish it was about 6:30 pm. The day would be over, I would be home, and I wouldn't have to deal with anyone.

I guess the reason why I am so frustrated basically has to do with one person. It's one of my co-workers, J. This woman was the person I had given my cat to when I had moved 2.5 months ago. To be honest, the people at work do not really like her. She's kind of strange. She wears clothes that really aren't appropriate for a woman her age and she comes across as sort of annoying. I guess what it comes down to is that she doesn't really fit in. In the past, I have felt bad for her. I thought she was getting a bad wrap and didn't deserve it. Now, I am beginning to see what everyone has been saying about her.

Yesterday, she called me and told me that she wants to talk to me about Toby, but that she couldn't discuss it at the moment, could she call me after work? Well, from the sounds of it, I didn't think that this sounded like anything good. But I thought, fine, sure, whatever. So last night, she called. I guess I must have been in the shower or doing something, b/c I didn't hear the phone. However, I checked my phone later that night and realized I had a few missed calls. One of them being J. At that time of night, it was a little too late to call her back. I thought if it was really important she would call again or tell me the next day.

This morning I arrive at work and am at my computer, getting it booted up, and J. comes over to my desk. She basically tells me that it isn't working out with Toby . Apparently, one of her cats, Lee, is giving him a hard time...chasing him and what have you. Well, this isn't news to me. J. has told me this has been happening. SO I'm waiting for her to get to the point. According to J., which I find to be bullshit, Toby got hurt while running away from Lee, so she doesn't think it would be best for her to keep him after all.. Basically, she tells me that she has found this shelter, where I used to live, that is willing to take Toby in. And she wants me to be the one to take him there.

I can't believe I'm hearing what I am hearing. This is a person who claims to care so much for animals, particularly cats, and she is wanting to give him up to a shelter? When I was trying to find an apartment and decided that I wasn't going to be able to take the cat, I was going to do that as a last resort. I was and am still opposed to doing that to him, but if all else failed, that would be what I would have had to do.

However, when she agreed to take him, that changed everything. Because of that, I did whatever I could to make it easier for her. I brought Toby to the Vet, got him tested for whatever she wanted, and made visits there as well. Why did I go to all that trouble, if this is what J. is going to do? Basically, it wasted my time, energy, and money. Not to mention, that it was tough on the poor cat. He had to get used to a totally new living situation, other cats, and a strange, new person.

Well, if that's what she wants to do- that's her decision. It really has nothing to do with me. So her coming over her and telling me that she wants me to be the one to take him to the shelter is NOT going to happen.

I think it really comes down to money. The place where she wants me to take him require that you make a donation- I believe the suggested amount is about 100.00. Knowing J., she does not want to pay for this, but I am not going to either, b/c, like I said, I do not agree with this. I am not going to be the one to uproot him again and put him in another new and different situation. To me, that just seems cruel... Not only would he have to be in shelter, which would be bad enough, but he would have to get used to other cats there...probably a lot more than just 3. It would be far worse- so I can't see how J. would see that as a better situation.

After this whole situation, I have had enough. If J. thinks that I am going to lie down, be her door mat, and do whatever she says, J. is wrong. When she took my cat in, it became her responsibility. So as it stands now, I'm uncertain of what is going to happen. J. claims that she is going to drop him off on my doorstep, but I'm not sure what to believe. I do know one thing for sure, I am not going to be speaking with J. anymore.

3 Comments:

Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Have you tried asking your vet if they can place the cat somewhere? My vet does that, it might be worth a try.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Julia,

In response to your question, no, I haven't asked my Vet about placing Toby. However, I don't feel it's my responsibility to do so. J. took the cat in (which I appreciate), and if it's not working out, it's up to her to find it another home.

Like I mentioned in the post, I don't agree with moving him yet again- I think he had a hard time adjusting in the first place. For J. now to say, I don't want him anymore- let's put him in a shelter, I feel is wrong and I am not going to be the one to do that to him.

I really don't think that it's about the cat. There's something else going on with J. and I'm not sure what, but I think it's cruel to do this to Toby.

Thanks for your response.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Andrea, I hope this works out...and that your office is large enough that avoiding J won't be too awkward!

Once when we bought a house, the previous owners left their cat there at the house. We became sort of defacto owners at that point. That cat was crazy and tough! He was huge and would chase large dogs who wandered into the yard.

Finally, when we had a child and the cat drew blood on her a couple of times, we put an ad in the paper. The ad read, "Free cat. Excellent hunter...." We wound up giving her to a couple who had a small farm and needed a cat to control the mouse population.

I wish you the best of luck with your situation. No one needs that kind of hassle!

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home