Sunday, April 23, 2006

I've got news... and most of it is good, which is unusual for me. This post will be a bit of a departure for me...so be prepared. It's somewhat weird for me, b/c I am so used to being a bit of a drama queen and expressing negative thoughts and emotions, so it feels a little strange posting something different. Frankly, it's about time I share some good things... and I have to admit that it's nice to be able to do this.

First order of business... I have just posted 100 entries to this blog- I am very excited about this. Actually this one will make 101. When I first started this I never thought that I would continue with it for so long, but
here I am still writing.

Honestly, I know I'm not the best writer. Yes, I ramble... Yes, I'm not sure I always express myself clearly... And, yes, a lot of times, I am not grammatically correct... (thank-you for bearing with me) But I really enjoy posting here and I think that's what really counts.

It's such a great way to express yourself and get out things out into the open. Additionally, I feel like it's helped me deal with a lot of difficult things ranging from work, to relationships, to dealing with a difficult disease. Throughout my time blogging, I think I just about covered every topic and it feels good to have a place where you can do that. Writing gives you such a wonderful way to let out whatever you are feeling at the time... and I think that's truly an awesome thing.

But I really cannot take credit for all of this... I think what's really kept me going is having the support, insight, and, most of all, friendship of the people who read and take the time to respond. It's something I really appreciate and it makes me want to continue to write. I cannot express what it means to have such a great network of support and I cannot thank you ALL enough. You all are the best!

Secondly, switching gears a bit, I am beyond excited today, b/c I've just booked a vacation! My two sisters, myself, and my sister's friend are going on a Royal Caribbean Cruise starting on August 14th. I believe the ship is called "Empress of the Sea" and we'll be onboard for 5 nights.

I've been on cruises before (went on one that turned out to be a nightmare last summer), but this one I'm truly, truly excited about. For awhile, I was bummed I wasn't going to be making any vacation plans, but things just happened to work out this time and it's so nice to have this to look forward to. Hopefully this time there won't be any problems with pump failure. :(

Lastly, question for you all. I'm curious to know if anyone's ever done anything drastic to change their appearance? I don't want to go into all the details, but I'm considering doing something pretty drastic. I don't know if many would be excited about doing what I'm considering, but, surprisingly, I am pretty excited about what I am contemplating. I just think that it will make me feel better about myself and give me more confidence- and that's important to me.

Frankly, I've always had problems with self-confidence and self-esteem and I think it's had an overall negative impact on my life. Yes, I know what I'm planning to do will not solve all my problems, but if it gives my self-esteem a boost then I think it' s worth it.

I actually told my mother today what I am considering. I wasn't going to mention it, b/c I was really afraid of her reaction and b/c I know how she feels about it. But it just happened to come out and she took it better than I thought...which is a BIG relief to know. This is not something she would ever want me to do, but, at the same time, I know she wants me to be happy, so I think she'll understand if I choose to proceed with things. Nothing is set in stone, I'm still seeking out information, but I have an instinct that I'm going to decide to go for it. I know this is very vague, but bear with me... hopefully, I'll be able to share more about it as I find out more information. I'll definitely keep you all posted.

That about sums up everything. I have to admit that I'm a bit bummed this weekend is over, but I guess it had to end at some point. I'm not really looking forward to going back to work tomorrow, considering everything, but I know I don't have much of a choice. Hopefully, it won't be too painful... I could use a nice, easy week. I'm sure we all could. So here's wishing everyone a good week and, hopefully, Monday (the toughest day of them all) will only be a breeze ;)

8 Comments:

Blogger art-sweet said...

Congratulations on your 101st post!

I for one enjoy reading what you have to say and am glad it's helpful to you to put it out there.

As for the appearance transformation.... intriguing...

Are we talking piercing? tattoos? A shaved head ala Sinead O'Conner?
Cosmetic surgery?
A $2000 new wardrobe (I wish! I mean, for me.)

The most drastic thing I've ever done was cut off a lot of hair.

It was fun, and I've never gone back.

7:51 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I like reading what you have to say, too, and I write for the same reasons, so keep at it.

I can't wait to hear what you're going to do. If you're talking cosmetic surgery, I can tell you that after five pregnancies, the thought has more than crossed my mind, it's made itself a cozy little corner and never lets me forget that it's taken up residency.

If you're talking tattoo, then I want all the gory details. I want one, but I'm a big chicken.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always enjoy reading what you share with us, Andrea. I hope there'll be (at least) 101 more!!

You = cruise.
Me = Jealous.

Does Medtronics in the States give you a backup pump to take with you on a trip? I know for a fact that the Canadian chapter will do this...maybe check with them and see what they can do for you.

The suspense is killing me. Seriously. I think you need to email me this drastic change. I'm a drastic kind of girl. Tattoo. Nose piercing. I've had dark hair, light hair, really short hair and really long hair. I've had hair removed in various places (yes, if you have never done this then you should). If it makes you feel good, then no matter what people might think or what you think they might think, go for it.

But tell me. Come on. You know you wanna! ;)

1:55 PM  
Blogger Lyrehca said...

Indeed, spill the big appearance change! I hate surprises.

Believe me, Julia, I think about a tummy tuck every single day. I have not had a flat stomach since age 7 (curiously, the same year I was diagnosed), and although the Mister and my parents think plastic surgery is just cray-ay-ay-zy, I think it's the only way my tum will be trim.

My brother's a cosmetic plastic surgeon and while he refuses to practice on family members, I would love to explore the tummy tuck option after any child-bearing has happened for me.

So what's the big appearance change?

4:27 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Hmmm boob job? cut off all your hair and dye it blonde?

Tell us!!!!

Julia -tatoos are no sweat! It feels like someone scratching you, annoying and kind of painful but not excruiating.

Whoo hoo for 101 posts!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Thanks for the congrats on the 101 posts. I really couldn't do it without you ALL! :)

Oh, Wow... I wish I could tell you (Tiff, yeah, I know I wanna, too), but I have to keep you all in suspense just a bit longer. Hopefully, after tomorrow I'll be able to spill the beans, but first I have to get more information about it. I'll keep you all posted :)

Ok, well, actually... the things you all have guessed have been things that I have considered in the past... (aside from the boob job that is- don't really need help in that department, lol).

Hmmm, that probably doesn't help much, but hang in there, I will tell you :)

PS- Tiff- I am definitely going to contact MM about a loaner pump to take with me on vacation. I refuse to go through what I went through last summer. It was supposed to be vacation, but turned out to be more like hell :(.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Rachel Segall said...

yaaaahhhh, what a great post. I really like reading your posts and I'm glad you are going to continue to write. You've inspired me, I don't think I wouldn've ever gotten those basal tests done if I didn't read your posts (so thank you!).

I'm jealous, the cruise sounds likes so much fun!!!

Nope never did anything drastic to my appearance, but you've got me hooked. I was thinking boob job but sound like that is out...

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A NOSE JOB.

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home