Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ok, Resolution Time...

Yes, it's a new year, and like many people do, I made a few resolutions I would like to accomplish in 2006. I admit that I haven't always reached my goals in the past, but I'm hoping that this year will be different. Now, I know the smart thing to do, and probably the most realistic thing, would be to focus on one, but this year I have 3. I'm hoping with a little luck and effort, I can make 2006 a great year.

First Resolution- Eat healthier. This one actuallly goes hand in hand with losing weight. Technically, it's two separate resolutions, but I'm hoping by doing the first, the other will follow. My eating habits have been quite erratic over the 28 years of my life and, unfortunately, that remains to be the case. For some reason, I have a problem with eating nutritious meals. I've tried multiple times in the past, but I'm lucky if I last a day. I think part of the problem is that I'm a bit lazy when it comes to taking the time to plan healthy menus for myself. Instead, I'll do whatever's convenient- usually meaning eating out, which not only isn't the healthiest option, but it's costly too. I'd like to start making good meals for myself. It's just that I don't know how to get started and when I've tried making food for myself in the past, for some reason, it doesn't appeal to me. However, I know how important eating well is, especially being that I'm a Type 1 Diabetic. I truly believe that nutrition is a big factor in managing this diease and I'd be lying if I didn't say that my diet could use improvement. So I'm hoping that will a little effort, I'll be able to make this change. I just need to find EASY, quick recipes that only require a few ingredients and are no-fuss. I invite any advice or suggestions :)

Resolution 2- Be more organized. I've been working on this one...and I think that I am making progress, but, trust me, there's still room for improvement. Not making excuses, but I think being that I was a semi-sloppy kid, I've grown up into a semi-sloppy adult. And I don't like that about myself at all. In fact, it really irritates me that I can be such a mess at times, b/c I feel it impacts other parts of my life. For instance, my bag is always a cluttered mess, full of just about whatever you can think of- but mostly one thing-Recipts. Instead of keeping them neatly in a compartment in my bag or in my wallet, I have them just any which way in my bag. And it's not like there's just a few-NO-there's a ton of them, which make it even harder to find anything else....which leads to wasting time and ending up being late. So I feel that if I get things into order and become a neater person, life will be a litle easier.

Resolution 3- A BIG one for me- Have more fun and stop stressing out so much. I've never made this resolution before, but I feel it's time that I enjoy life more. Frankly, I could use a little fun. It doesn't sound that hard, but for me, it is. I tend to get so anxious at the thought of doing anything a little out of my comfort zone and I think, in a way, it's getting in the way of me really living to the fullest and I don't want to feel like I am missing out of life. That's sad to me. My attitude is going to be that I am up for anything (within reason, of course), whether it's going out with someone, going somewhere new, or doing something totally out of character. So be it...I am just going to go for it :)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Andrea!

I like your Resolution No. 3. Everyone needs to have some fun in life! And it will get easier each and every time you do it :)

I love to cook so I'll see what I can round up for you in the way of recipes. There are some easy single serving cookbooks (I'm sure the ADA must offer one) that you might want to look for on your next visit to the bookstore.

Hope you have a great 2006!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Hey Tiff...

Thanks for your response- I always appreciate any comments on my blog (whether good or bad, but hopefully good :) ).

#3 is a BIG one for me. In fact, this may be the most important one (aside from staying healthy)this year. I really want to achieve this goal...and if I don't I know I will feel extremely let down. I make that seem like I have no control over that, when it's really up to me to make it a great year. However, saying that, I just feel at times that everything always has to be a lot harder for me than the average joe. Not sure why that is, but that's the way I feel.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, advice, or ideas you have for a healthy meal plan. I know diet is probably one of the most important components of managing this disease-yet it's the most difficult for me. I don't eat like I should which often leads to me being extremely disappointed and feeling guilty. I need to get back on track. I'm planning on covering this in my next blog...especially since I've been slipping up more and more lately. **sigh**


I'm so glad to see you posting again and updating your own blog-always interested in what's going on in your life, so continue to keep us posted.

All the BEST :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

I'm working on #1 myself - also struggle with the same things. I think planning is going to be the biggest help.

I've found that when I can plan, I can follow that plan. When I don't plan I fall victim to the fast food and vending machine choices. I'm really needing to drop a nice chunk of weight, and the eating and planning are going to play a big role in that.

An added benefit is that my DB control should get much better. Bad eating choices are the downfall of my DB control.

Being that I'm fighting the same fight, I don't have any killer solutions to offer up. I'll be patiently watching this post though!

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home