Sunday, May 07, 2006



Can't believe it's Sunday again :0( (boohoo) and, worse yet, tomorrow is MONDAY! (eek!). Weekends just fly by... which doesn't seem quite right, since most of the work week drags on so S-L-O-W-L-Y. Honestly, I can't stand the thought of going in tomorrow to another joyous week (not) of work, but as I've said before, I have no choice in the matter :(, so I know I'll be taking that dreaded, but familiar trek into work...

Today I went to visit my parents and my Dad asked if I have been communicating more with my bosses since our little meeting. I actually have been... Ok, in reality, that's not saying much seeing that I had little to no communication prior to that meeting. But, improvement is improvement... I'm hoping they see that too. However, I know I can't just assume that they are seeing progress being made, I have to inquire and find out. My Dad suggested that I go in and talk to T. again and find out if they see improvement or if they think there are more things I need to improve upon. I know it's a good idea, but, truthfully, it's not one that I am that keen on.

I don't really understand it myself, but I have a hard time talking to A & T. Well, I guess I sort of understand it.... they really aren't the friendliest or easiest people to talk to, but, saying that, I can't let that stand in my way of doing a good job. So I'm going to try and do that tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a struggle and something I'll have to force myself to do, but it has to be done. I figure the more I do this, the more comfortable it will become discussing issues and problems with them and future bosses. Hopefully, it will go well.

Speaking of jobs... I actually applied for a position at Danbury Hospital as a Certified Medical Coder. Back in December, I took the test for my certification. I thought I had failed it, because I ran out of time at the end and started choosing random answers... which is somewhat odd, seeing that it's a 5 hour long test. But it happened...the time passed so fast and before I knew it the proctors were announcing that they were collecting the tests. When I finished, I almost didn't care that I failed. I was just so glad that it was over- that's how bad the test was.

To my complete shock and surprise, I passed the test. I think I had to read the letter twice to believe it- I thought it had to be a mistake. But I didn't receive any calls or mail to state that it was, so I guess I managed to pass somehow. I think in many ways, I still can't believe it.

Now, I have had this certification since December, but it's just been sitting in my drawer collecting dust. Thursday, I happened to go on to the hospital's website, noticed the job for Coder posted, and decided to apply. Honestly, I am not sure it's what I want to do either, but after taking courses for about a year and a half and taking that awful test, I want to at least give it a shot. You never know unless you try. So I'm hoping that I'll hear from HR soon... guess we'll see.

Other than that, not much else to report. My mom keeps giving me these nice compliments on how I look, but I think it's mostly in effort to try and dissuade me from doing what I am contemplating. I am still continuing to give it serious thought. Some days, I'm like "maybe I shouldn't..." and there are other days when I'm like, "I just want to do it NOW and get it over with"... but I really don't want to rush the decision. I don't think that would be smart.

I have two more appointments set up to attend- I think I'm going to wait and see what happens with those appointments before coming to a final decision. My goal is to really spend some time discussing my options with these surgeons, ask a lot of questions, and find out their opinions too. I am a strong believer on educating oneself regarding medical issues, whether elective surgery or conditions like Diabetes. If I didn't spend time finding out all I could about it, I wouldn't feel right about going through with it. As things stand now, if I had to venture a guess which way things are going to go, I would guess that I'm probably going to go through with it. But one never knows...

1 Comments:

Blogger BetterCell said...

Hello Andrea....I know that you have been in a dilemma over many things. I recently came across this article from Web MD.com, which may be of interest to you.Zoloft Helps Diabetics Fight Depression
THURSDAY, May 4 (HealthDay News) -- The antidepressant drug Zoloft (sertraline) may help prevent recurring depression in people with diabetes and increase the period of time between depressive episodes, a new U.S. study finds.
One in every four diabetics experiences depression, according to background information in the study.
Researchers studied 152 diabetics, averaging about 53 years of age, who had recovered from depression during treatment with Zoloft -- 79 of the patients were randomly assigned to receive Zoloft and 73 were given a placebo. The patients were tracked for a year or until their depression recurred.
After one year, just under 66 percent of the patients taking Zoloft remained in remission from depression, compared with about 48 percent of patients taking placebo. The amount of time that passed before depression recurred in one-third of the patients increased from 57 days among those taking placebo to 226 days among the patients taking the drug.
The study was funded by drug maker Pfizer Inc., which makes Zoloft, and the U.S. National Institutes of Health.
"Our study establishes a clear benefit of sertraline for prevention of depression recurrence in patients with diabetes," the study authors wrote.
"Sertraline lengthened the depression-free interval of maintenance and did not interfere with glycemic improvement achieved during the recovery phase. Treatment with sertraline is relatively simple, safe and widely available, and although it is not curative, it offers patients with diabetes a potentially viable method for ameliorating the suffering, incapacity and burden associated with recurrent depression," the authors concluded.
Zoloft is one of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class of antidepressants, which also includes brands such as Celexa, Paxil and Prozac .
-- Robert Preidt
SOURCE: JAMA/Archives journals, news release, May 1, 2006

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home