Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I'm freaking out here :( :( :(. My blood sugar is horrible- has been for the last three days- and it has put me in full-blown PANIC mode! It's not pretty.

I know, I know, panicking isn't going to help bring my blood sugar down, but there are times (like these) where I cant help it. I'm frustrated, stressed, and exhausted with having to manage this disease.

The problem I'm having is actually getting my blood sugar stable. The last three days, my blood sugars have been averaging in the 200 range... WTF?!!! Yesterday, I didn't have one reading below 200! Let me just reiterate- WTF!!!

What gets me even more is that I see NO reason for all this... I've been testing, I've been eating pretty much the same as usual, exercising, and I feel ok, so what's going on? I mean, shouldn't things be a bit smoother if you are dotting all your i's and crossing your t's?

I guess not.

Yes, I know that sometimes we could be doing everything we think is right and things could still be off, I know that's the nature of the disease. But I often find myself still agonizing over why I'm getting the results I'm getting. I know it's probably a huge waste of time and energy, but I just can't help it.

I know, lately, I haven't been the model of Diabetes compliance. I've slipped up some here and there. But, as a whole, I do try to do the best I can with taking care of myself and controlling this disease. That's why it really gets to me when I think I'm doing what I should and still not getting the outcomes I expect.

Sometimes I think there may be a different underlying problem going on that is causing me to have this difficulty... and I am planning to talk to my doctor about running some labs, once I have insurance (I'm still on probation at my new job). But I know in the past everything has checked out (aside from my faulty pancreas). And what then? Just keep guessing at what's going to make things level out? I hate this trial and error bull shit...

It just doesn't seem right or fair. And it's probably not. I mean, if I had to get Diabetes, fine, but why is it that I have to struggle with it so much? Why is it that it has to be so hard for me ,on so many levels, to deal with it? I guess I should have expected as much... I mean, nothing has come easy for me in life, so why should Diabetes be anything different. It just plain sucks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

Andrea, I find that this happens to me periodically.

When it does, the first thing I do is check all the equipment. If that checks out and I still have constant highs, I change my set. The next thing I will do if nothing else works is to set a temporary basal rate to deal with it until it comes down.

Also, how are you doing with the testing? Are you doing that more frequently now? Merely testing more often might catch things before they get too far. Also, if you start adjusting rates, you will surely need to check more often.

I personally adjusted my rates up for several weeks and have just started to back them down again.

One of the challenging, yet frustrating aspects about this disease is in keeping up with the ebb and flow and being able to adjust to constant change.

Take some deep breaths. Things will work out.

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I set temporary basal rates until I start running low.....It works pretty well for me. I notice too that I run stupid high the week before my period

10:08 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Good advice from both JB & MMS - I won't bother you with all the routine questions (sickness, stress, etc.).

Just dropping a note to let you know I stopped by, feel your pain, and wish I had the magic bullet to make it all go away.

Keep your chin up!

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home