Monday, October 30, 2006

Last Thursday was my last day at my job... It was a day I was both looking forward to and dreading, if that makes sense. Yes, I was happy that I was leaving that position & some of the difficult people, but I dreaded leaving the predictability of the job- knowing what to expect on a day to day basis. Not to mention, I was dreading any last day festivities... something they generally do for anyone who leaves the company.

Usually, they'll have lunch and everyone signs a card for the person who leaves. I know it's going to sound awful and ungrateful, but I really didn't want any of that. Frankly, I thought it was a little ridiculous to have anything for me when I don't think most of the people there got a chance to know me or give me a chance. But, J., someone I work with kind of pushed for it, so I had no choice but to go along with it.

No big surprise, my bosses, A& T, didn't even come out of their office for any of this, but I'm actually more than fine with that. It was already somewhat awkward to begin with, that to have them join in would just make it even worse.

Anyway, it's all behind me now... As much as it was painful for me some days to work at that place, I did leave learning something from the experience. I came in knowing nothing about billing and left knowing somewhat more about it. Also, as corny as it sounds, I did learn some things about myself... the way I learn, how I react in situations (both bad and good), and the way I interact with people. So, b/c of all this, I guess I can't say the time was a total waste.

___

Friday, I went to P. Hospital, where I will be working, for my pre-employment physical. I anticipated only being there for an hour or so, but by the time everything was said and done, I had been there for 3 hours (not including the commute in- which was about 45 min).

I left early at 8 am to make a couple stops before heading down the highway to the hospital. I have to admit, it made me a little nervous to see that there is a good deal of traffic at that time in the morning, which would be time I would generally be leaving at. There were times where traffic would backup for no apparent reason... yes, it was a little frustrating, but by the time I hit the next highway, it did pick up.

My appointment for the physical wasn't until 9:30, but I wanted to see if I could make it down for the time I am scheduled to be there- at 9. To my surprise I did make it there on time... actually with 5 minutes to spare.

I headed up to employee health... I filled out paper work, got weighed, bp checked, and so forth. And then got sent down for labs (to check to see if I got all my immunizations) and a chest x-ray (b/c I can't have the TB test they give new employees- I've tested + for being exposed) and then back to employee health to be looked over by the physician. Unfortunately, I was sent to sit for a while until the Doctor was available. Finally she arrived, finished up with my brief exam, & sent me on my way. Before leaving hospital grounds, I had to stop at HR to finish up some paper work, which didn't tak too long. I was then able to leave and be on my way.

I was somewhat nervous going in for my physical, but it turned out okay & I left feeling a little more at ease with starting my impending position. The people that interacted with me were so friendly and nice that that made me feel better about things. However, L., who interviewed me from HR, called me later on that day. It turns out that I wouldn't be able to start Monday after all. My lab and chest x-ray results would not be back by then and their policy is that they would need those results before I could start work.

Honestly, I was a both glad and disappointed by the news. I was relieved to know I would have a couple days off to relax and prep myself (mentally) for my new endeavor, but, in a way, I kind of would like to start and get the first day over with. As much as I hate starting over and the whole getting oriented process, I have to start sometime. Putting it off, it just putting off the inevitable.

So we'll see... I'm not exactly sure when I'm starting, but L. mentioned Wednesday... I'll keep you posted.

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

I think that will be great for you - and how nice to have a couple days to decompress!

10:57 PM  
Blogger NYMOM said...

Good luck with your new job. I'm glad to hear that the leave taking from your old one went well...or at least was low key.

Let us know what happens????

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home