Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Monday I had my appointment with my Endocrinologist. Drum roll, please...my A1c is now...6.7! This shocked the hell out of me! I thought for sure it would be in the 8 range or higher considering all the problems and aggravation I've been going through lately. Honestly, I was extremely relieved to hear this, but after discussing it with my Endo and thinking about it some more, I think things aren't as good as I would very much like to believe. We believe that I got an acceptable A1c only b/c all those highs I have experienced recently are being balanced out by lows. I openly admit that I have had rollercoaster blood sugars, and that's really not good at all. I think there is still damage being done and it's just not very pleasant dealing with swings from highs to lows and back again. It's exhausting on many levels. I think I was pretty frank with him, I told him I'm not content with things, but I don't know how to make things better. So we discussed my options. Option 1: I could stay on the pump. Option 2: I could go back to MDI. Option 3: I could stay on the pump and try something like Symlin. Option 4: I could go back to MDI and try Symlin. Since I hate injections...going back to MDI is not really favorable to me. However, I'm not exactly happy with the pump at the moment. It's caused me a lot of grief and aggravation and I'm not sure I will ever feel completely at ease with it. That leaves me in a bit of a bind. There's no other option- it's either shots or pump. I told my doc how much I hate shots, so he doesn't think MDI is the way to go, esp. if I am also going to be taking Symlin (that's an additional 3 shots a day, one for each meal!). Looks like I'm going to stick with the pump for right now and perhaps I'll try Symlin somewhere down the line. My Endo thinks my basals need to be adjusted further before I throw something like Symlin into the mix. Once I test my basal rates, we can think about the Symlin then. I guess that's ok with me. But I'm not exactly looking forward to skipping my meals to check my basals...I enjoy eating too much! However, if it helps, it will be worth it. One other thing from my appointment. I dropped 1 more pound= YEE HAW! :) That was a nice surprise :) Though the way I've been eating lately, I 'll probably gain it and more back!

One other big piece of news...I'm moving. The first place I looked at, which is cute and nice ( but small), I decided to go after. So I will be moving in only a few, short weeks. I'm nervous for some reason...I hope I'm making the right decision. It definitely means that I'll have to change things up a little, such as my daily routine, but it probably will be a good thing for me. I'm not so good with change, but, I think I need to do this.

Not much other news to report...it's been a dull, quiet, and cold week (weather wise). Work hasn't been fun this week and things have dragged more than usual lately. I still am not 100% confident that I am doing a good job, but I'm doing the best I can. I think I'm doing ok overall, and I hope my bosses are in agreement. I just know that this isn't something I'm interested in doing long term- it's not exactly interesting to me and I can't say I look forward to going in each day (far from it). but I'm taking it a day at a time and I think I am learning more and more as I go.

I'm thinking more and more of finishing up the Master's program in School Counseling at WCSU. I did well in those courses and I did enjoy them, so perhaps that's the path I should take. I called the Dept. Head today, but our call got disconnected so I'm going to call him tomorrow to see what I need to do to return. With this move and all my expenses, I just hope that it's something I can afford. It does appeal to me and I think it's very important to do something you love to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home