Friday, November 18, 2005

I started to post the other day, but didn't save or publish my post, about an experience I had with Rebounding- and I'm not talking about basketball. Ok, corny attempt at a joke. No, actually, what I am referring to is blood sugar levels rebounding from one extreme to the other and back again. It's something I extremely hate, but it's a common occurrence in the whole Diabetes game.

It was Tuesday evening and I tested right before going to sleep. To my shock and dismay, my blood sugar read an alarming level of over 300! :o( Yikes! So before turning in that night, I took a 3 unit correction bolus and hit the hay. I thought that that would bring me down to a comfy level of about 150, but I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! Around 2 am I woke up not feeling right. I recognized the feeling pretty quickly, so I managed to get myself out of bed and stumbled my way to my kitchen. I tested and soon found out that my level was the lowest I had been in a long time- it read 31. I didn't hesitate to start treating the low...I ate about 3/4 of a bagel and some cereal...which I didn't bolus for, but probably should have, b/c apparantly, I overdid it. Before I went back to bed, I tested again and was back up to a normal level of 121. The next morning, my sugar had rebounded yet again- back to over 300. It's so aggravating, you correct a high, it brings you low. You correct a low, it brings you high. UGH! :( Anyway, I did manage to bring my levels down, but it took most of the morning. It always seems like there is this small margin of what is considered normal, but it's so easy to hit either extreme. I really hate those extremes (esp. highs), but what I hate even more is the Rebound Effect- it's so much more exhausting. :( :( :(

Moving on...or trying to anyway.

My last post, I had mentioned G., a guy my co-worker sort of set me up with. Well, I had some concerns and apprehension about him, and, unfortunately, those concerns have only grown. Monday evening I spoke to him on the phone for the first time. I was nervous talking to him on the phone, it's so much harder than just instant messaging someone online. I think it may even be harder than meeting someone in person, b/c there's no facial cues or body language to read. Anyway, things seemed to be going ok until he mentioned something that happened on his last job. He was working for a clothing warehouse and, according to his story, some kid, who was interning there, pantsed him (is that a word?). He turned around and kicked the guy...which led to him being suspended and then eventually fired. Hearing this story totally turned me off. To me, it sounds like he lost control and lashed out. Obviously, if it was me, I'd be angry and embarrassed too, but I don't think I would physically go after the other person. I would try to be the bigger person. I didn't say anything about it at the time, but it just didn't jive with me. The next day, I emailed him saying that I didn't think things were going to work out... I didn't go into why too much. He called me the next day and left me a message saying that he's confused and doesn't understand why I ended things. Then, that evening, I came back from my class and he was online waiting for me. As soon as I logged on, he IMed me. The truth basically came out...he asked me if he had done something wrong, so I was honest with him. I don't know, maybe I'm making more out of this than I should, but I just don't want to get involved with someone with an anger problem or someone who can't control his temper. Thinking about it some more, I really don't know why he's so persistent. He hardly knows me. It bothers me that there's an element of desperation about him. To me, it seems like he just wants a girlfriend, it doesn't really matter who so much. Anyway, I told him that I need to think about it some more and he said that he understands, so I guess we'll see. To be completely blunt, I don't think he's my type. Something about him doesn't seem right, but I don't know him, maybe I need to give him a chance. As you can tell, I'm kind of confused right now. I don't think meeting him once is a big deal, but I don't' want to waste my time either...wish I knew what to do.

Then there's this other guy...my other co-worker, W., introduced me to. I actually just came back from meeting him at lunch. He seems like a nice guy, but I can't tell if he's interested or not. I guess it doesn't hurt to meet someone new and maybe make a new friend, but I always get so nervous about these introductions...guess I still have some social anxiety. He took down my number, I guess if he's interested he'll call.

1 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

Andrea, I know exactly what you mean about rebounding. It is easy to overtreat a low and go on that rollercoaster. Especially since some hormonal/chemical responses throw your body into a feeling of desperation if you go low enough.

Through the years, I have learned not to just eat "until I felt better," but to really follow that 15g at a time rule. Yeah, it's a pain to keep eating and measuring every 15 minutes;however, that rollercoaster is one of the few rides I can't stand. To me, it is worth the hassle!

Sorry, but I have no comment on those internet relationships. Good luck!!!

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home