Saturday, November 12, 2005

So let's just say that my social life/dating life leaves a LOT to be desired. Ok, I admit, I have no social life :(. Recently, one of my co-workers, S., tried this online dating website and met someone she really likes and is trying to encourage me to try it myself. To be completely honest, I'm apprehensive about doing this.

I've tried it before...and ended up very disappointed. Basically the person I thought might be a good match for me, didn't turn out to be. He was nice, smart, and kind of nerdy (which I guess I like), but he had no idea on how to treat a girl. He hadn't really dated before and never had been in a relationship- but neither had I. However, I know what I want and something was missing...and I think we both knew it. Anyway, I ended it. I thought it wasn't going anywhere and I was sick of coming away from our "dates" disappointed. After that, I decided to take a break from the online scene. It just didn't seem like the right path for me.

Well, back tracking a bit, S. also was contacted by this other guy on the site, but at that point, she already liked someone else. So this guy, let's call him G., asked her if she has any single friends. I don't know how I got brought into it (???), but somehow I did, and now we've been emailing each other back and forth. In some ways, I'm intrigued by G. I'm curious and I want to know what he's like, but there are some things that I'm not so sure about. First...he's young- he's only 25! And you know what they say about guys- they mature a lot slower than women do. He told me his birthday and he was born in 1980, which made me freak out even more. I'm only a couple years older, but hearing that made it seem like I was years and years older than him for some reason. I don't know, it just doesn't sit well with me, but maybe I'm making a bigger deal about it than I should. Hey, look at Demi and Ashton, LOL :) The next issue is distance- he lives about 45 minutes, more or less, away from me. I don't think that helps matters much. Let's say we do hit it off, is distance going to be a problem? And lastly is education/career. I hate to sound like a snob (I'm really not one), but I highly doubt he's attended college and it seems like he's job hopped quite a bit. Not to mention that when we IM each other, he's not a great speller either. I know, I know, when you IM someone it's very informal, but whenever he misspells a simple word, I am very aware of it. Like I mentioned before, what attracts me is someone who is very smart and who has a good head on his shoulder. I think I question if this guy has those qualities. Now to play the devil's advocate- I do think that everyone deserves a chance and who knows, we might really hit it off. It does seem like we have some things in common and when we chat online, I can be more myself and I'm not so worried about what he's going to think. Anyway, he asked me out last night to a movie, which took me way off guard, but I did accept. I guess I have nothing to lose and we both agree that if we make another friend out of this whole thing, that won't be so bad. I just wish there weren't those other factors working against him :( .

That really is the most exciting thing going on right now. Oh wait, I take that back. I did get a lot done this weekend in regards to my move. My Mom came down yesterday and we spent almost all of the day, cleaning up my apartment, packing things up, and moving things to my new place. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful Mom. She made things so much easier and she's very good company for me. Honestly, I don't know what I would do without her- she's probably my best friend in this world and I love her more than I can express. So, thanks to my Mom, we got practically everything done that we could do. Then we stopped at the mall for dinner and she even stayed later to help me pick out a few odds and ends at The Christmas Tree Shop for my new place. I knew she was tired by the end of the day, we both were, but she wanted to make sure that we got everything done I wanted to. We started working at about 10:30 am and we didn't finish til about 5. What can I say- She's the BEST :) !

The one thing that bothered me about yesterday was that I went low twice. The first time was right before lunch. I had worked out in the morning and then with all the moving, packing, and running up and down the stairs, had a bit of a second workout. I know I used up a lot of glucose in my body . I tested in at 39-yikes! :o The second time was at my new apartment. Again, I was doing a lot running around and, that time, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I felt really awful. I didn't test right away- I felt it was more important for me to just get something in me before I ended up in trouble. Of course, I didn't have anything on me- which was a stupid, stupid move, but I vaguely remembered that I had something in my glove compartment in my car. Luckily, something was still there. It was a nutrigrain bar, God only knows how old, but it would do. So I ate it and I felt better. I tested a few minutes afterwards and was up to 100. I don't know what I was before-hand, but I think it must have been frightening low. I swear, one day I am going to get myself into big sh#t, b/c I don't carry anything with me to treat my lows. I don't know why I don't- again, I think it might be b/c I don't fully accept my diagnosis, but that's no excuse to be so idiotic about things. I'm going to definitely put something in my car, as I have found out- lows can and do happen at the least convenient times and it is better to be safe than sorry.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sandra Miller said...

Okay, Andrea--

This is the knee-jerk response from the mom in me (and she's a great big 'ol part of me)-- if you haven't gone out already and done this, then please, please, please, go out TODAY and buy one of those great big bags of Smarties or a jug (or some rolls) of glucose tabs.

There's six grams of carb in each roll of Smarties-- pure glucose. They're fast-working, and they're extremely portable.

Depending on the glucose tabs you buy, there's 4 or 5 grams in each tab.

Load up your car, your apartment, and your purse (or backpack, or briefcase, or whatever you carry with you).

All right, then. The mom in me is done. :)

Take care,

Sandra

p.s. Glad your settling into your new place, and curious to see how thing go with your date... Have fun!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Thank-you, Sandra, for caring :). I know it's a stupid move for me not to carry anything around. One day, if I'm not careful, it will get me in trouble. I hate to say it, but maybe I need to learn the hard way...unfortunately, sometimes that's what it takes. Anyway, I like your Smarties idea...I'm not a fan of Glucose tablets, so that may be the way to go. I'll just have to restrain myself from eating them before I need them, lol :0).

As for the "date", I put that on the back burner for right now...with my move and everything goin on, it's not the best time. Plus, I have some concerns about this guy...I think I mentioned a few of them. Well, there's more! I'm sure I'll be writing more about it in my blog- and I appreciate any advice I can get, especially yours (you seem very knowlegeable about things). So stay tuned.

Well, I'll wrap this up for now. Thanks again for taking the time to write and for your concern.

BTW, Mothers are truly special people- you seem like an awesome Mom- I think your kids are lucky to have you. Being motherly is a wonderful quality to have- definitey embrace it :)

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home