Wednesday, May 10, 2006

So here I am- trying to play catch-up on what's been going on lately. I know I have posted about a lot of random stuff lately, but I haven't discussed my Diabetes for a good while. Seeing that I have an Endocrinology appointment tomorrow- guess it would be a good time to do so. ;)

To be honest, I haven't been as obsessive about my disease lately...and, amazingly, my world didn't suddenly combust. For a while now, my numbers seemed to be pretty normal (for me, that is). They haven't been out of this world GREAT, but they haven't been HORRENDOUS either... things just seemed to be moving along at an adequate clip. Well, seems like all good things must come to an end, unfortunately.

Yesterday, I changed my site before leaving work and headed for dinner with a few of my girlfriends. I don't quite remember my blood sugar reading at that time, but I remember thinking that it was in the OK- good range.

Fast forward to dinner... My friends decide to order this Appetizer Sampler on the menu... you "pick 3" from a list of tasty treats. We picked chicken quesadillas, nachos, and potato skins. Not really on the "good" list for Diabetics to eat, but since I rarely if ever order these things, I went for it. I actually behaved myself pretty well considering. I only had one small triangle of the quesadilla and a few nachos. Then my meal came and I, again, was trying to be good. I got the soup and salad combo-which was just perfect. At this point, I would have been perfectly content to leave, but NOoooo.... My friends decide to do dessert. This time, they order the "pick 2" option. Soon we are being served a brownie sundae and a huge piece of oreo ice-cream pie with a side of that chocolate stuff that turns into that chocolate shell coating (YUM :) ). Well, I actually didn't order dessert, but I did help myself to a few spoonfuls of my friends' order. Turns out, yes, I kind of splurged a little bit more than I intended, but when you are out with the girls, it's kind of hard not to. Or this is how I rationalize things anyway.

Anyway, before I met my friends and arrived at the restaurant, I determined that I would give myself half of the bolus I would usually take for my meal, since I would be going to the gym immediately following dinner. At that time, I thought a 3.5 unit bolus would be sufficient. I knew I would be working out right after and I didn't want to risk having a low at the gym. There's nothing worse than that feeling of being low after a workout... I call it my zombie-like
state and there's really no way I can describe it other than to say it's horrible. Well, I guess worrying about that was silly- that's not what happened at all.

I worked out on the arc trainer for an hour and then drove myself home. I realize as I'm driving that I'm not really hungry at all... but decide to shrug it off. Usually, when I feel this way it means one thing.... and turns out that my instincts were right. I test my blood sugar and to my alarm, I ring in at a horrendous 327 (yikes). I can't believe it... A million questions start running through my head... Did I bolus... Yes Did I bolus enough... Probably not. Did my workout cause this spike... Maybe . Is it my site... Possibly

Out of all these things, I conclude that it has to be my site, but I decide to wait it out. I take a correction bolus and decide to test in a few hours. Guess what? It didn't come down. At this point, I think... ok, it's definitely the site. So I switch to the old site... I left it in, in case something like this happened.

I don't know if it's being overwhelmed with different things or frustration with my readings, but I decide that if my numbers are that high, might as well just go hog crazy and pig out- got to love my logic- LOL. So I start eating cereal...and I can't stop! OMG... It's not pretty. Finally, I feel so sick to my stomach and sick with myself that I bolus to cover it all and go to bed.

The next morning I wake up and I had come down. Phew, I was relieved! My reading was around the 150 level. Not great, but, hey, I'll take it considering the numbers I was seeing last night. Since my appointment with the endo was Thursday, I had to go to the lab to have a fasting blood test done. After a bit of running around...I get to the lab and have the test done. No big deal, the phlebotomist was really good- it really was just a small prick. Then some more running around to get breakfast, and I head to work.

I grabbed a healthy breakfast of cottage cheese and fruit and measly balance bar for lunch and figure that I'm going to eat extra light today to make up for last night's indiscretion. Unfortunately, my blood sugar did not want to cooperate. By lunch, I'm again over the 200 level, but I take a correction bolus for and bolus to cover my nutrition bar. I test before I leave and realize that I'm around 120, which isn't too bad.

Considering everything, I'm a bit worn down and tired, but I knew that I should work out- especially after my little pig-out the night before. I just started taking yoga classes at this place a town or two away and decide to attend a class that night. I was originally supposed to go to with a friend from work, but she called me at work to let me know that she would not be going, so I made the trek alone.

I think the class was just what I needed. The last few I've had mixed feelings about. Although I did enjoy most of them, I noticed that I felt sort of nauseated during class. I really thought I was going to vomit during the class the preceding week, but I managed to fight that urge, luckily. I think it might have to do with me not being used to being in these different postures. Anyway, it was a good class tonight, the instructor taught it more gently and slowly then the other classes I've attended and I think it's just what I needed. I left feeling a lot more relaxed and at ease. And that's a feeling I wish I could bottle for times when I need it. It's such a good feeling.

When I arrived home, I started to prepare dinner and then tested my sugar. I was at about 133. I took my meal bolus and then had a dinner of salad, roasted vegetables, and a veggie burger. Guess it was veggie night :). I tested about an hour and a half after and was again over 200. This reading was not actually too much of a surprise. I typically have trouble with my post dinner readings. Again, correction bolus... Seems like I'm doing a lot more of it lately than I should be and it has me concerned.

Tomorrow, I have my appointment after work. I don't really know what to expect from it. I'm curious to see how my A1c is, but a little nervous too. Sometimes I go in without a clue on what it could be... this is one such time. Then I'm also interested in my labs- hopefully, they'll be back by then too.

However, I just hope that we don't have another discussion about basal testing. He wanted me to do my tests for my daytime and overnight rates one more time... but I just wasn't able to do it. I'm sure it will come up, but I'm thinking about telling him that I don't want to do any more tests at this point and that I'm ready to try the Symlin. This is what I always plan to say, but then things never go that way. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Oh, one other thing, I am going to ask him about clearance for the surgery- should I move ahead with it. It'll be interesting to see his reaction... and, with any luck, he won't have any problem clearing me for it.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home